The Department of Periodontology at RBDCH provides instruction and clinical experience dealing with the etiology, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases of the periodontium (tissues surrounding teeth) in adults. This includes surgical placement of implants and implant maintenance.
The Department has an undergraduate and a special surgery section equipped with modern dental chairs fitted with ultrasonic scalers. Advanced surgical equipment like Soft tissue diode LASER, NSK Implant Physiodispensor, electro cautery and centrifuge to procure PRF are available in the department. It also deals with the preventive and corrective measures in the management of gingival and periodontal diseases.
The students are posted for clinical training in the department. During this time they are trained to provide comprehensive treatment to the patients, including those requiring non-surgical as well as surgical periodontal therapy.
- The department follows health care practices as per the Environmental Policy 14001.
- Undergraduate students are trained with skills to render non-surgical and preventive periodontal procedures and are introduced to surgical periodontal procedures by observing and assisting as procedures are being performed.
- Interns are given opportunity to learn and master a variety of surgical clinical procedures.
- Hands-on training in various implants systems and clinical exposure to use of lasers is being imparted as part of the curriculum.
- Rural community outreach camps provide students with an opportunity to be a part of public health programs.
- Regenerative periodontal therapy.
- Periodontal plastic and aesthetic surgery.
- Local drug delivery.
- Research in Periodontal Medicine.
- Preventive periodontal care.